Sunday, July 27, 2008

Happy Fruits! Strawberries and Lychee!



I love strawberries! Absolutely adore them! I think they are one of the happiest fruits on earth! If you could put an emotion on them - they would be radiating happiness! It must be something to do with their heart shape and their bright red colour! Whenever I see these punnets and punnets of strawberries - I cannot help but buy them! My hand just automatically reaches for a punnet of these happy fruits and it goes straight into my shopping basket!

Lately, they have been in season! Yay! I always thought they only turn up on our shelves in the summer months - or at least they are much more in abundance! The thing is - I dont always enjoy eating them... sometimes they can be kinda sour and that is an unfriendly feel :P Ok, I sound a bit odd here - :) But the punnet I bought on the weekend from Coles was absolutely perfect!!! Sweet, juicy, bright red and happy!


Came across this fantastic - my new favourite receipe - from a great blog! It is a Lychee butter cake with rose syrup cream and fresh strawberries. The texture was perfect - how do I describe it... the perfect buttery yellowy colour, light, fluffy yet not too airy - you got the feeling you were biting into a piece of good cake without feeling like you were consuming more air than cake!



May I suggest though that you follow the recipe - the second time I made it, I thought I would be more generous with the lychees - bad idea - cake turned out more like a Lychee mud cake :) But then again, if you prefer it more dense - perhaps that wouldnt be a bad idea then!

For the recipe - please check out this fantastic blog: http://www.dessertfirst.typepad.com/
She has some fantastic creations - I am amazed!!!

Enjoy!!!


(Food Photographer: Thanks for the photos, Gerard!)

No comments: